Saturday, January 4, 2014

December 02, 2013

Bonjour tout le monde.

Fortunately we have passed Thanksgiving so Christmas music is allowed, and yes Tahitians listen to Christmas music.  It is funny because Tahitians listen to music in every single language.  I hear songs in French Tahitian and even Spanish sometimes.  I don't know if you guys know but Tahitians love, love, love to sing.  I have  never sang so much in my life.  We sing two times at every lesson and every single little activity is opened and closed with a hymn.  It is just how they do it, and if you are in charge of the hymn you have to sing a solo of the first few mesures before you start. I basically sing solos all the time.  Yesterday, for example, the relief society president asked me and Soeur Ference to come up to the front and sing before lesson.  I used to be horiffied to sing in front of people but I will never be again because I am just so used to it.

That leads me to the other news of the week.  Yesterday I totally killed a rat.  During evaluation a rat ran behind the refrigerator and after blockading everything we trapped it in between two boxes.  No one wanted to kill it but we couldnt risk getting diseases or anything so I had to.  I sprayed poison on it and it died.  Yah it was a little sad, but at least I dont have rabies.

Now to the important things I did this week.  Soeur Ference and I are really trying to bring unity and love into our neighborhood and sector because it is just not there.  Until now we are sick of people not letting us serve them. It is nearly impossible to find service opportunities. Everytime we ask if people want help theyre like"no no no" so we thought of a clever way we are going to trick people into making them let us serve them. We are going to choose inactive families and show up in the morning and pretend like the ward scheduled for us to come and it is something required to let us do their yard work. Hopefully this goes well haha.  Besides that, one of our investigators dropped us because her husband doesn't want her to be Mormon.  It is really hard to work with mean husbands here.  There are a lot.  We also fixed a baptism for January 4th with Megui this week.  I was so happy.  She has a lot to change but I am confident if she continues to have the desire she will be ready by then.  She is one of my favorites to teach because she is so open, which leads me to my little spiritual thought for the week.  Be humble.

I have learned here that it is only ever the humble who will be able to recieve the blessings of the gospel.  It is sad but I have seen so much pride block people from recieivng the gospel.   One of my favorite talks from conference was " Be Meek and Humble of Heart" by Elder Soares.  I suggest you go back and read or listen to it.  How many times in life do we block the reception of gospel blessings or further inspiration because of our pride.  Remember that humility and meekness is never a weekness but a spiritual strength. Meekness is vital for us to become more Christlike. Without it we won’t be able to develop other important virtues. Being meek does not mean weakness, but it does mean behaving with goodness and kindness, showing strength, serenity, healthy self-worth, and self-control.
Meekness was one of the most abundant attributes in the Savior’s life. He Himself taught His disciples, “Learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart.”

Before my mission I prayed really hard to be able to go somewhere where I would be humbled, and the Lord answered my prayer.  I can honestly say I have been given so much in my life and I have never realized how much that was until now.  Yes it sometimes hurts to be humbled but it has also been one of the largest blessings I have recieved as I have therefore had to rely on the Lord for strength, and that is always a good thing.
Love you all.
Soeur Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment